Sprouts? Are they garnish, or are they food? Many who don’t know much about sprouts put them in the same category as parsley, a garnish that you put on your food but not much of a food in itself. That’s not my view. Anyone who takes the time to discover sprouts will learn that they are simply baby plants and some of those plants are widely used in cuisines around the world. If I were to mention, broccoli, cabbage, garlic, onion, chives, radish, buckwheat, lentils, peas, mustard, rye, you would likely acknowledge that you consume these foods. And if I were to mention alfalfa, farmers the world over would tell how important it is to them, their land, and their animals. All of these foods are essential of our food chain. It just so happens, that these are all fast growing plants and if you were to examine them after only a week’s time, you would already notice their green leaves starting. Even at this early stage, these plants provide the full flavor of the fully grown adult vegetables. In the case of alfalfa, the adult plant’s leaves are just a little bit too chewy to be considered delectable by people, but its baby leaves, the sprouts, are perfectly scrumptious.
The Advantages of Growing Sprouts
- Fresh Living Salad. Low fats, Low calories. High in Energy.
- Contains 4X the protein of lettuce! 2X the protein of Spinach. 39X more Beta-Carotene!
- Get a 100% Organic Salad 52 weeks a year for only pennies per pound!
- Instead of 1 head of lettuce, you get 1,000′s of micro-lettuce leaves.
- Great spicy flavors like radish and garlic chives or Mild ones like Buckwheat lettuce & Alfalfa
- Only 1 minute of watering per day. Needs only normal room light & temperature.
- No Soil. No Green Thumb. Only 1 min per day!
- Economics: Seeds can multiply 7-15 times their weight. $10/lb. for alfalfa seed, that yields $1 for a pound of fresh sprouted home-grown organic greens!
- Nutrition: Sprouts are baby plants in their prime. They have a greater concentration of proteins, vitamins and minerals, enzymes, RNA, DNA, bio-flavinoids, T-cells, etc., than at any other point in the plant’s life even when compared with the mature vegetable!
- Organics: No pesticides, synthetic fertilizers or fumigants. No chemicals. No foolin!
- Availability: From Florida to Alaska; in January or July, enjoy live food anytime, anywhere, even on a boat or when hiking a mountain trail.
- Space & Time: It’s Easy! Just add water! No soil. No bugs. No green thumb required. No special lights. One pound grows in only 9 inches of space and takes 1 minute of care per day.
- Freshness: Eaten when picked. No loss of nutrients sitting in warehouses or grocer’s shelves.
- Digestibility: As baby plants, their delicate cell walls easily release elemental nutrients. Abundant enzymes make them easy to digest even for those with weak digestion.
- Versatility: More varieties of salad greens than on the supermarket shelves. Including buckwheat lettuce, baby sunflower, garlic chives, Chinese cabbage, purple turnip, curly kale, daikon radish, crimson clover, golden alfalfa and more… Your salads will literally come alive!
- Menus & Meals: Make sprout breads from sprouted wheat, rye, or barley. Snacks from sprouted peanuts, hummus dip from sprouted garbanzo, cooked vegetable side dish made from sprouted green peas, Chinese sautes from mung, adzuki and lentils, even sprouted wheat pizza!
- Ecology: No airplanes or fuel/oil consumed to deliver this food to you. No petroleum based pesticides or synthetic fertilizers.
Choosing the Right Equipment & Seeds
To sprout successfully you need the right seeds and the right equipment. All of our Certified Organic Sprouting Seeds go through two different stages of testing. First, all seeds are lab tested for bacteria — including salmonella and E-coli. Next, they’re sent to my testing facility where I personally test the germination rates, size, rate of growth, root strength, and of course, flavor. You can browse the full line of Sproutman’s Organic Sprouting Seeds here. In terms of Sprouters, browse the store category here.
Over 30 varieties. Specially selected. Lab tested.
[button link=”https://sproutman.com/product-category/organic-sprouting-seeds/” style=”info” color=”green”]Browse Now[/button]